1. What connects the emergence of Dhanvantari from the churning of the ocean with a container filled with amrit, the triumphant return of Rama to Ayodhya after defeating Ravana and his coronation at Ayodhya, the emergence of Goddess Lakshmi from Kshira Sagar during the Samudra manthan and her marriage with Vishnu, Krishna killing the demon Narakasur, Krishna defeating Indra after lifting mount Govardhan and Vamana’s victory over Mahabali?
The reasons for celebrating Diwali
2. He made his debut in a 1928 film, in which he was trying to become an aviator in simulation of Charles Lindbergh. After convincing his girlfriend to hop along for the ride, he tried to kiss her in mid-air, wherein she parachuted out. Who? Name the film as well.*
Mickey Mouse / Steamboat Willie
3. Complete the list: Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Jimmy Carter, _____.
Barack Obama – nobel POTUS
4. Which word that literally translates to “entire Earth” in Greek, is used to describe the super continent that existed on this planet some 250 million years ago?
5. Tenali Ramakrishna was one of the Ashtadiggajas (lit. eight elephants in eight directions) in the court of which 16th century ruler?
6. “I think it quite possible that I could have dispersed the crowd without firing but they would have come back again and laughed, and I would have made, what I consider, a fool of myself” was the explanation given by X to an enquiry commission. Who is X? What mind chilling incident from the year 1919 is he talking about?*
General dyre about Jallian walabagh disaster
7. Chester Carlson, who worked for a patent office in New York, often had to do a lot of re-drawing and re-typing to prepare multiple copies of documents for submission to the U.S. Patent Office. What did he invent to get over this difficulty?
8. How did Jaume Ramón Mercader del Río Hernández, a Catalan Communist achieve international infamy on August 20, 1940 using just an ice-axe?
The assassin of Leon Trotsky
9. What internet project was released on April 1, 2004 by its creators with the idea that no one would be sure if the new features it offered were an April Fool’s Day joke or not?
10. “O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won”
If the “ship” here in question is the USA, and the “fearful trip”, the American Civil War, then who is the Captain?
11. Complete the list: Luis Figo (2000), Zinedine Zidane (2001), Carlos Tevez (2009), Kaka (2009), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (2009), ____.
Christiano Ronaldo ( Expensive transfer )
12. Hancocks, a firm of jewellers and silversmiths in London has designed and produced every copy of this object since its inception in 1856. Which prestigious honour are we talking about?
13. When this American General died in 2007, it was revealed that he had mentioned specifically that he have no funeral or a headstone, lest protestors use it as a place of protest. A couple of years before his death, at the 60th anniversary of the event that immortalised him, he, along with his erstwhile colleagues, announced that “The use of the ____ ____ was a necessary moment in history. We have no regrets.” Who is he?*
Paul Tibbets of Enolo Gay
14. How do we better know the five books of Mitrabheda, Mitrasamprapti, Kakolukiyam, Labdha Pranasam and Apareekshitkarakam, said to have been formulated by a teacher on the request of King Amarashakti of Mahilaropaya in 3rd century B.C.?
15. Legend says that when asked why he wanted to do something for which he was famous for, he replied “Because it is there”. It was during an attempt at this that he, along with his partner Andrew Irvine, went missing. The Jeffrey Archer novel Paths of Glory presents a romanticised version of his life. Who? What was he attempting to do? **
George Mallory exploring Mt Everest
16. Which historical personality is believed to have introduced the game of Cricket to Kerala by arranging for soldiers garrisoned at the Tellicherry Fort to play the game? He went on to achieve great fame in military history through his future exploits.
17. ________ is one of the major tributaries of the river Periyar, the others being the Muthirapuzha, Perinjankutti, Cheruthoni and Edamalayar. What is located at the site of its confluence with the Periyar?*
18. With well over 100 participants in each team, which sporting competition is regarded as the largest team competition in India?
Nehru trophy Boat race
19. He lives at the address 21, Rajani Sen Road, Kolkata with his cousin Topshe and family. A man of sophisticated habits with a taste for good food, he is a voracious reader and a movie buff. Lalmohan Ganguly, better known as “Jatayu”, the author of several Bengali crime thrillers, is a close friend who accompanies him on many investigations. Identify this man who made his debut in 1965 and whose adventures have been chronicled by the ever faithful Topshe.
20. A piece of literature is described by Uncyclopedia as follows:
X is the working title of a Y novel that is planned for release no earlier than 2007. This will be the third book involving Z, a fictional Harvard University professor, and the fifth time that the evil crapness of a Y book will threaten to lead the entire human race to suicide.
There has, as of yet, been no word if Y will retire after this book is published, but we can only pray. If Y decides to persevere with his writing, we may have no other choice than to assassinate him!
Id all three for points. (The novel has been released)
21. Thomas Babar was the man entrusted with the responsibility of bringing this revolutionary down. It is believed that this man was surrounded with no means of escape, when he took his own life by swallowing his ring on November 30th, 1805. Who is he? He has been in the news recently.
22. Which famous explorer was killed in April 1521, in the Battle of Mactan, by the warriors of Lapu-Lapu, a native chieftain of Mactan Island, Philippines?
23. A struggling singer in the 1940s, he seriously thought of quitting the music scene in Bombay, but was dissuaded by his future wife Sulochana Kumaran. The lady had great faith in his talents and urged him to keep trying. He went on to be a legend in his field. Malayalis best remember him for a song he sung in 1965. How do we better know this Bengal born gentleman whose real name is Prabodh Chandra? *
24. Before he turned to film making, Dada Saheb Phalke, the grand old man of Indian cinema, ran an engraving and printing business. The business was involved in the mass production of lithographs of the works of a famous Indian artist who is well known to all of us. Name the artist who ran a press in Bombay and contributed significantly to our perception of Gods and mythological characters.
Raja Ravi Varma
25. This celebrated author of children’s stories is said to have been very fond of the works of Charles Dickens. During a visit to England in 1857, he stayed at Dickens’ house for five weeks, much to the irritation of Dickens. The man left in good spirits, having enjoyed his stay, but the frustrated Dickens promptly published David Copperfield with the villainous character of “Uriah Heep” modelled after the visitor. Name this Danish author. **
Hans Christian Anderson
26. If the Thyagaraja Aradhana at Thiruvaiyaru is dedicated to Thyagaraja and the Salzburg music festival is dedicated to Mozart, whom does the Bayreuth music Festival in Germany pay homage to?**
27. He is modelled on a candid school student with a high civic sense. Other characters associated with him include the whisky-swigging Uncle. He was created by Artist Nandan Pillai of Thrissur and is the mascot of Road Safety Awareness in Kerala. Who is he?
Pappu , mascot of Kerala police
28. Nicknamed “The Rocket”, he is the only player in tennis to have won the Grand Slam twice, in 1962 as an amateur and in 1969 as a professional. Who?
29. In 1963, Nikita Khrushchev and John F Kennedy signed the Partial Test Ban Treaty. On the day that the treaty went into force, the Nobel Prize Committee awarded the Nobel Peace Prize to ____, for his ceaseless campaign against nuclear tests and warfare as a means of solving conflicts. Name the eminent scientist who thus became a two time winner of the Nobel Prize, having won the prize for Chemistry for his work on chemical bonding.
Carl Linus pauling
30. It had its origins in an iron and steel mill in Karlskoga, Sweden in the 17th century. The company was founded in 1873. X who owned the company from 1894 to 1896 diversified it into its current field. Id the company and X.**
31. When Charles II of England married Catherine of Braganza in 1661, he received as dowry two cities. One was Tangier in Morocco. Which was the other?
32. Best known for a path breaking 1969 novel, this icon of modern day Malayalam literature was also highly regarded as a political cartoonist. Identify him and his 1969 novel.
Khasakinte Idihasam – OV Vijayan
33. Manoj Kumar and Mohammed Shaibaz are two junior cricketers from Hyderabad who set the world record for the highest partnership in any form of cricket with an unbeaten 721 run partnership. Which famous Mumbai duo’s 664 run record did they break?
Sachin – Kambli 663 !
34. In August 1684, Edmund Halley visited X to discuss a particular scientific problem, only to find that X had solved the problem without publishing his results. Halley convinced X to publish the results at his own risk. What path breaking book was thus produced?*
35. Which English word, used to describe a literal or metaphorical force regarded as unstoppable, originates from the Ratha Yathra during an Indian festival?
36. Which billionaire British businessman has written an autobiography titled “Losing My Virginity: How I’ve Survived, Had Fun, And Made A Fortune Doing Business My Way”?
37. The club’s office was bombed by Fascists during the country’s civil war in the 1930s. The regional language was banned during the period and its stadium was one of the few places where the language could be spoken freely. The dictatorial regime favoured another prominent club in the country and matches involving the two were heated affairs. The club’s motto- “More than a club” is a reflection of its symbolic significance to the region. While most other clubs advertise corporates on their shirts and collect sponsorship, the club displays the UNICEF logo on its shirt and donates money to the organization. Name this sporting institution.
38. He was listed as the third greatest movie villain of all time by the American Film Institute in 2003. David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw and Hayden Christiansen have donned his role in films. James Earl Jones provided his iconic voice. Name him.
39. Which are the only two cities besides Athens and London to have hosted the Summer Olympics twice?
Los Angels and Paris
40. Complete this quote by Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw: “If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or a __________.” (clue: a race of people)
41. Which famed autobiography was originally titled “Four and a half years of my struggle against stupidity, lies and cowardice”?
Mein Kamph of Hitler
42. This technology was first invented by Daniel Colladon and Jacques Babinet in Paris in the early 1840s. Colladon first described this as “light fountain” or “light pipe” in an 1842 article. Narinder Singh Kapany’s experiments led to the wide spread use of this technology. Which technology?
43. Set in the 1520s, this novel is about Thomas Cromwell’s rise to power in the Tudor court of King Henry VIII. It won the Man Booker Prize in 2009. Name the book and author for full points.
Wolf fall/Hertha Muller
44. Nicknamed “The Bayonne Bleeder”, Chuck Wepner is a retired professional boxer who is most famous for a bout in 1975 with Muhammad Ali in which he knocked down Ali, and went the full 15 rounds with him, something that was not expected from him as an obscure boxer. He is believed to be the inspiration for which famous fictional boxer?
45. The origins of the name of this recently released piece of “personal communication and collaboration tool” on the web lies in the Firefly television series in which it is an electronic communication, often consisting of a video call or message. What?*
46. What, on June 6, 1944 took place at locations codenamed Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword?
47. Which book holds the Guinness world record for being the best-selling copyrighted series of all-time?
48. The Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, a unit of CSIR, has recently developed something called ‘Soleckshaw’. What is a Soleckshaw?
49. What honorary term/phrase is used to describe these sporting teams: Australian cricket team on the tour of England (1948), Arsenal F.C. (2003-‘04), Australian Rugby League team (1982)?
50. Jozef De Veuster was born in 1840 in the village of Tremelo in Belgium. He became a member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, a missionary religious order and went to the island of Molokai in the Kingdom of Hawaii. By what name is he better known?
51. When this play, based on an unfinished novel by Charles Dickens, is performed, the audience is allowed to have a say in how it ends. There are atleast seven different endings. Which novel is it?*
The mystery of Edwin Drood
52. After ending three decade long dictatorship Mohamed Nasheed became president of this country in 2008. Earlier this year he had announced that his country would become carbon-neutral within ten years. Which is the nation of which he is the president?
53. In 2004, a trophy was instituted for the Test cricket series between England and South Africa. Ironically, it was named after a former player who never played in England vs South Africa Test match, though he had played against all other Test playing nations of his time. Who? **
Basil De Oliviera
54. In what way are the two Sherlock Holmes stories “The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier” and the “The Adventure of the Lion’s Mane” unique in the Sherlock Holmes cannon?
Only novel narrated by holmes himself
55. Widely regarded as one of the greatest novels in Malayalam literature, this book tells us the story of Karna from the Mahabharata. If the book is “Ini Njan Urangatte”, then who is the author?*
56. Named after and founded at the behest of John Charles ____, it is considered the equivalent of a Nobel Prize in mathematics. It is awarded every four years to mathematicians not over forty in age. Name it.
57. What two word term was coined to describe the USA Basketball team for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics which comprised of some of the greatest basketball players of all time?
58. Zeus and Poseidon were suitors of his mother, a nymph, until Prometheus the fire-bringer came out with a prophecy that she would bear a son who would become greater than his father. She later married Peleus, and bore a son. Name him.
59. Chris Columbus, Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell and David Yates are all assured of popularity for donning a role in the world of films. What am I talking about?
Harry potter film series
60. _______ ____ nānrtam
satyena panthā vitato devayānaḥ |
yenā kramantyrsayo hyāptakāmā
yatra tat satyasya paramam nidhānam ||
Fill in the blanks in this extract from the Mundaka Upanishad.